Wrongful Termination Attorney in New York City
Can You Be Fired for No Reason In NYC?
The labor laws regarding termination in New York do not make it a “right to work” state meaning that you can be fired for no reason. The term “wrongful termination” is misleading because in New York and most other states, without a written agreement for a specific term, employment is “at will.” The NY law allows your employer to fire you on a whim or for a totally arbitrary reason. This makes New York an at-will employment state.
This means that employers can fire or terminate you for any reason, or for no reason at all, unless:
- (1) Your rights are protected under employment discrimination laws. Employers cannot discriminate against you on the basis of age, sex or gender, race, national origin, disability or perceived disability, pregnancy status, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- (2) You have an employment contract, either written or implied, with the employer, who agreed that you cannot be fired without just cause for a specific period of time. The terms of the contract will usually determine the reasons for which you can be fired.
Otherwise, employers may terminate employees for any reason or for no reason. Employers may fire you if they don’t like you, or even if they just don’t like the clothes you’re wearing. In other words, it is not illegal for employers to be “mean” or to be “wrong” when they fire you.
To schedule a consultation with our experienced New York wrongful termination lawyer, call (646) 490-0221 or fill out our online form today!
What Are Examples of Wrongful Termination In NYC?
- Employment Discrimination - New York State and federal laws prohibt discrmination because of an employee's protected class such as race, religion, gender, disability, etc. That includes termination of said employment. If you experienced a pattern of discriminating behavior up until or even after you were fired, you may have a case for wrongful termination.
- Retaliation - Employer retaliation can take many forms but wrongful termination is one of the most effectuve. An employer might fire you for filing a workers' comp claim after an injury. Your boss might want to get rid of you after you rebuffed his sexual advances. Or you might be terminated for becoming a whistleblower.
- Pregnancy - A pregnant employee's position at their company is protected while on FMLA leave, however, that does not stop some employers from trying to skirt around federal regulations. If you were fired after reporting your pregnancy or soon after you returned to work, you might have a case for wrongful termination.
Do I Have a Case for Wrongful Termination?
Wrongful termination means firing someone because of their race, religion, gender, disability status, or membership in another protected category, or firing someone as a form of retaliation. If you believe to have been fired from your job for any of those reasons contact Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP.
How Can A New York Wrongful Termination Lawyer Help You?
If you feel that you or someone you care about was unfairly fired, a wrongful termination attorneys can thoroughly examine your case and let you know the best route available for you to take, together with your attorney.
- Paperwork: Your attorney will file and take care of the paperwork involved with your case and will ensure that everything is completed correctly
- Evidence: Your attorney will gather important evidence that is required to support your case and help you win a favorable outcome
- Legal Advise: Your attorney will provide you with valuable legal information to protect your rights and future
- Legal Experience: Your attorney is a legal expert who knows the ins and outs of the legal system, and will be able to offer you the support that you need
- Examination: Your attorney will thoroughly examine your case and provide you with the best legal strategy to take moving forward (e.g. breach of contract or a wrongful discharge lawsuit)
Don't let yourself doubt your current employment situation. Speak with one of our experienced attorneys today, and let us provide you with the legal support and guidance that you need during this challenging time. Contact our wrongful termination attorneys in NYC today to schedule a free consultation, and to learn more information about how a lawyer will be able to assist you. We have helped many individuals struggling for clarity after being fired, and we are eager to fight for you.
Call Our New York Wrongful Termination Lawyers
If you believe you have been fired for questionable reasons that may constitute employment discrimination or a breach of contract, then consider discussing your concerns with a New York wrongful termination lawyer.
Why Choose Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP?
- More than 100 years of combined legal experience
- Selected for Super Lawyers® multiple times
- Members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum®
- AV® rated by peers for ethical standards and legal skill
Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP was one of the very first New York law firms to focus on employment law. Every day we uphold a legacy of exceptional representation for workers who have faced discrimination and wrongful termination. Please don’t hesitate to see how we can help you assert your legal rights.
- Can Your Employer Wipe Your Personal Cellphone When You Are Terminated?
- When Is My Wrongful Termination Wrongful?
- Steer Clear of Social Media If Contemplating a Wrongful Termination Suit
- Be Sure There is a Causal Connection Between Your Protected Status and Your Termination
Contact Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP online or at (646) 490-0221 to schedule your free initial consultation!
100+ Years of Collective Experience
Personalized & Compassionate Service
Award-Winning Legal Counsel
A Track Record of Success