New York Wrongful Termination Lawyer
Trustworthy Guidance from Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP - Call (646) 490-0221
If you believe you have been fired for questionable reasons that may constitute employment discrimination or a breach of contract, then consider discussing your concerns with a New York wrongful termination lawyer.
Why Choose Our New York Wrongful Termination Attorneys?
- More than 100 years of combined legal experience
- Selected for Super Lawyers® multiple times
- Members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum®
- AV® rated by peers for ethical standards and legal skill
Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP was one of the very first New York law firms to focus on employment law. Every day we uphold a legacy of exceptional representation for workers who have faced discrimination and wrongful termination. Please don’t hesitate to see how we can help you assert your legal rights.
To schedule a consultation with our experienced New York wrongful termination lawyer, call (646) 490-0221 or fill out our online form today!
What Are My Rights as a New York Employee?
The labor laws regarding termination in New Yok do not make it a “right to work” state meaning that you can be fired for no reason.
The term “wrongful termination” is misleading because in New York and most other states, without a written agreement for a specific term, employment is “at will.” The NY law allows your employer to fire you on a whim or for a totally arbitrary reason. This makes New York an at-will employment state.
This means that employers can fire or terminate you for any reason, or for no reason at all, unless:
(1) Your rights are protected under employment discrimination laws. Employers cannot discriminate against you on the basis of age, sex or gender, race, national origin, disability or perceived disability, pregnancy status, marital status, or sexual orientation.
(2) You have an employment contract, either written or implied, with the employer, who agreed that you cannot be fired without just cause for a specific period of time. The terms of the contract will usually determine the reasons for which you can be fired.
Otherwise, employers may terminate employees for any reason or for no reason. Employers may fire you if they don’t like you, or even if they just don’t like the clothes you’re wearing. In other words, it is not illegal for employers to be “mean” or to be “wrong” when they fire you.
Call Our New York Wrongful Termination Lawyer
Our employment attorney will be pleased to meet and discuss your issues with you. Our initial interview will be without any cost to you. We will be able to determine at that time whether we believe we can help you, and you will then have the opportunity to decide whether you choose us.
Contact Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP online or at (646) 490-0221 to schedule your free initial consultation!
100+ Years of Collective Experience
Personalized & Compassionate Service
Award-Winning Legal Counsel
A Track Record of Success