New York Sex & Gender Discrimination Attorneys
NYC Gender & Sex Employment Laws
Under New York law, employers must hold men and women to the same workplace policies and standards when making decisions such as hiring, termination, promotion, training, position requirements, and general office treatment and demeanor. Sex and gender can include a person’s biological characteristics, social constructions regarding gender identity, or a mix of both. This means that an employer cannot take negative action against a worker for physical or perceived issues of sex and gender.
Examples of sex and gender discrimination can include:
- You are repeatedly denied promotions at work that are filled by members of the opposite sex despite the fact that they are demonstrably less qualified.
- Members of one sex are paid more than their counterparts.
- Employees are reprimanded for being “too manly” or “too womanly”
- An employer makes a hiring decision based on information such as if an applicant is married, has children, or plans to have children.
- Managers or staff harass or speak to workers of one gender in a demeaning or derogatory manner.
- Employers will only hire applicants based on the sex or gender of workers who are “traditionally” perceived to fill those roles.
Have you been the victim of workplace discrimination? Call (646) 490-0221 and speak to an attorney.
Have you Experienced Discrimination? Call (646) 490-0221
The workplace must be an equal opportunity environment for both men and women. This is not just a suggestion, it is the law. In the state of New York, it is illegal for an employer to treat employees differently solely based on gender or sex. Sex and gender discrimination laws protect both men and women from issues such as unequal pay, sexual harassment, and positional bias. If you think you have experienced discrimination in the workplace, do not hesitate to call Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP.
Our New York employment attorneys have over a century of combined legal experience and can help you to hold employers responsible for discriminatory actions. We know that experiencing any workplace issue can be tremendously stressful and you may believe that your livelihood is in danger. However, companies cannot legally take retaliatory actions against employees for expressing their rights. For more information, read our guide to the basic elements of a discrimination claim.
Our firm can help you to recover damages including:
- Lost wages
- Emotional hardship
- Legal fees
- Punitive damages
Schedule your initial consultation today to discover your legal options so that you can move on with your career and your life. Why choose our firm? See our awards and accolades or read what our clients have to say about us.
100+ Years of Collective Experience
Personalized & Compassionate Service
Award-Winning Legal Counsel
A Track Record of Success