Skip to Content

Company Violations in the Holiday Season


When the holidays are in full force, it is not uncommon for businesses to get swamped with customers. No matter what product or service you offer, you can probably expect an influx of customer traffic. In response, business owners and employers often demand more of their employees and give them additional hours to get tasks completed. In many ways, this can be a boon as more hours directly translates to bigger paychecks. Most companies also have holiday pay agreements that increase the number of dollars earned per hour.

Trouble quickly arises, however, if extra hours don’t cause extra pay. In the hustle and bustle of the holidays, employers can lose track of holiday wages and overtime, and forget to add it to people’s paychecks. This is not an excuse for the behavior but only a reason why it may occur.

In other situations, business owners may intentionally refuse to reward employees with holiday pay. Employment contracts may be changed last minute to eliminate holiday pay, or the amount of pay might not be the correct amount. Typically, wages should be 1.5x multiplied but a dishonest employer might do something different, such as 1.25x or less.

What Can Be Done If Holiday Pay Is Denied?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not change during the holidays, but at the same time, it does not demand that a company give its employees holiday pay. The truth is that it is very common and is probably in your employment contract. If you have not received any holiday pay but you believe that you should, you will want to team up with a New York employment discrimination attorney from Schwartz Perry & Heller LLP. With our assistance, we can review your employment contract, your paychecks, and the history of your employer to see if any foul play has occurred. If necessary, we can create an FLSA wage claim violation lawsuit, as it is likely that more employees other than yourself have been affected by the apparent wrongdoing.

Dial (888) 905-4091 today to schedule your own free consultation with our lawyers.

Share To: