Brian Heller has been with Schwartz & Perry LLP since his graduation from Fordham Law School in 2001. In August 2007, Mr. Heller was named as a Partner of the firm. Mr. Heller has an impressive background in all aspects of employment law, including discrimination, sexual harassment, fraudulent inducement, contractual disputes, stock options and benefits, and workplace torts.
Throughout his time at Schwartz & Perry, Mr. Heller has been at the forefront of workplace rights in and around New York City. Mr. Heller's most recent accomplishments include serving as first chair during a January 2013 jury trial in a retaliation case in the District of Connecticut that led to a $1.2 Million recovery for our client, who claimed that she was retaliated against for complaining about sexual harassment. In late April 2013, Mr. Heller successfully argued an appeal before the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in a significant victory that reinforced the broad protections of the New York City Human Rights Law for victims of employment discrimination.
In addition to his established litigation track record, Mr. Heller negotiates severance agreements, employment contracts, non-compete and confidentiality agreements, and counsels employees who are subjected to discrimination in the workplace.
Mr. Heller actively lectures on the field of employment law for programs sponsored by the New York County Lawyers' Association, National Employment Lawyers Association and the Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Mr. Heller, along with his partner Davida S. Perry, conducted a lecture entitled "Sexual Harassment & The New York City Human Rights Law" that was published on Lawline.com in April 2012. In addition, Mr. Heller has co-authored numerous articles and publications for various Bar associations in New York.
As a student at Fordham Law School, Mr. Heller served on the Fordham Urban Law Journal and as a mediator in the Bronx Small Claims Court. In addition, Mr. Heller is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Pennsylvania State University.
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2001
B.A., with Distinction, Pennsylvania State University, 1998
Phi Beta Kappa
Jurisdictions Admitted to PracticeNew York, 2002
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2002
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2002
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2008
Honors & Awards
- Archibald M. Murray Award for Public Service (2000)
- SuperLawyers - New York Metro Area - Rising Star (2012)
Publications & Lectures
- April 24, 2012, “Sexual Harassment & The New York City Human Rights Law,” Lawline.com
- February 1, 2012, “Day In The Life of an Employment Lawyer: Plaintiff’s Side,” Lawline.com
- February 1, 2012, “A Day in the Life of an Employer Law Office,” New York County Lawyers Association
- October 2, 2011, “The Great Employment Debate,” New York County Lawyers Association (Co-Author)
- January 14, 2010, “Issues and Insights in Employment Discrimination Cases from the Plaintiff’s Side,” New York County Lawyers Association
- July 23, 2009, “Critical Issues in Contemporary Employment Law,” Lawline.com
- December 6, 2008 - "Employment Discrimination in the Workplace: How to Handle and Negotiate an Employment Discrimination Claim," Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education (Presenter)
- October 6, 2008 - "The Great Employment Debate - Are Age Discrimination Laws Necessary?" New York County Lawyers' Association (Co-Author & Presenter)
- August 12, 2008 - "Investigating Liability & Assessing Damages in Employment Law Claims: Identifying Methods That Have Proven Successful in Negotiating Claims," New York City Bar Association (Co-Author & Presenter)
- August 7, 2008 - "How to Effectively Commence an Employment Discrimination Claim," New York County Lawyers' Association (Co-Author)
- April 5, 2008 - "An Introduction to Employment Law," Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education (Presenter)
- March 10, 2007 - "Getting the Most Out of Your Case," Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education (Co-Author & Presenter)
- February 15, 2007 - "Getting the Most Out of Your Case," Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education (Co-Author & Presenter)
- December 10, 2006 - "Trial Strategies That Work," Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education (Co-Author & Presenter)
- September 16, 2006 - "How to Handle and Negotiate Your First Employment Discrimination Case," Lawline.com (Presenter)
- March 11-12, 2005 - "Litigating Harassment Claims: Strategies for Success - Counseling and Case Selection," National Employment Lawyers Association (Co-Author)
- 2003 - "Sexual Harassment in the New Millenium," National Employment Lawyers Association, 13th Annual Convention (Co-Author)